Home Care Instructions for Your Braces
Adirondack Orthodontics is committed to providing a safe, effective, and comfortable experience. Your assistance in properly maintaining your braces to prevent them from breaking, and in continuing to practice good dental hygiene, is critical while undergoing orthodontic treatment. Following this guide will help ensure you get the most out of your treatment.
Keep Your Braces Clean
- Spend adequate time brushing – a minimum of two minutes, each time you brush.
- Brush well at the junction of the teeth and the gums.
- Use floss threaders to get between the teeth and wires.
- While it’s okay to use water picks, there is NO REPLACEMENT for proper brushing.
- Brush after EVERY SINGLE meal.
- Brush above and below the brackets.
- Brush your gums.
- If your gums are bleeding, you are NOT brushing well.
- Broken brackets may occur within a couple of hours of getting your braces. This usually means the glue did not stick well.
- If this occurs, give us a call and we will repair the bracket.
- If a bracket breaks after a week or so, it is usually the result of poor appliance care, such as eating sticky and/or hard foods.
- If you think something may break a bracket, it most likely will! Remember, nothing hard, sticky, or chewy.
Depending on the situation, wires can sometimes pop out of brackets during the early stages of treatment. This is a result of soft and/or light wires which are easily bendable.
- If the end of a wire is poking out, use wax to cover the sharp end of the wire.
- If a wire pops out of the back bracket, there are several options:
- Replace the wire into the tube using tweezers.
- Cut the wire and give us a call.
- Cover the wire with wax and give us a call.
- If the braces are scratching, the use of wax will usually help, and the scratching will subside within a few days.
Soreness From Braces
- Soreness and discomfort are normal during the realignment process, especially during the first 4 to 5 days. You can manage the pain with Motrin/Advil/Ibuprofen.
- Use appropriate dosage as prescribed for body weight and age.
- During this period, it is best to stick to a soft diet.
- It is important to keep your braces clean.
Review the Contents of Your Orthodontic Kit
- School brush
- Christmas Tree brush
- Floss threaders